‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring; not even a mouse
Actually no, there were lots of noises it’s just you couldn’t hear them! The festive period tends to be a time when people really notice their hearing loss. Imagine missing out on the sounds of Christmas, the rustling of the tinsel on the tree, the crackling of the logs on the fire, the crunch of the snow beneath your feet. The festive period is a time when the senses are heightened, with all of the sights, smells and sounds.
“So, I miss a few words out of the joke punchline, it’s not that bad.” Well actually, it can be incredibly detrimental to your quality of life, studies have linked hearing loss to many effects:
- irritability, negativism and anger
- fatigue, tension, stress and depression
- avoidance or withdrawal from social situations
- social rejection and loneliness
- reduced alertness and increased risk to personal safety
- impaired memory and ability to learn new tasks
- reduced job performance and earning power
- diminished psychological and overall health
Hearing loss isn’t just an ailment for the elderly, it can and does strike at any age. Increasingly, the age of those needing access to hearing assistance devices is plummeting. Hearing aids are no longer reserved for your great great great Aunt – anyone can suffer from hearing loss.
It’s important to have a hearing test if you find your hearing is negatively impacting any aspect of your life, some symptoms include:
- You find that it’s harder to understand everything that’s said in conversation, especially when there’s background noise
- Sounds seem muffled
- You find yourself having to turn the volume higher when you listen to music, the radio or television
Hearing tests are generally free, it’s always worth having your hearing checked. If it so happens that you do have a significant loss, you can now take the next step into resolving this, and if it so happens you don’t have a significant hearing loss, you have peace of mind and a sheet of paper you can wave in the faces of your relatives who told you to get it checked!
All hearing tests at My Hearing Clinic are completely free and there are no obligations whatsoever. We feel everyone should have access to knowledge of their own health, raising awareness is our first priority.
Call 0191 917 8887 today to book your free hearing test